Do you want to watch historical movies like gladiator? Then, here I will let you know about more action movies like gladiator that you can consider watching. This movie gained wide popularity as it displays the ultimate fight of the Roman Empire. The thrilling and adventurous plot attracted people to the theatres making it a big hit. In this article, you will get to know about fascinating movies like gladiator that you should not miss out on.
List Of Top 14 Movies Like Gladiator To Watch
Let us have a look at the names of the movies like gladiator and braveheart that are very entertaining and delightful to watch. I am sure these movies will take you back in time and show you the history.
- Braveheart (1995)
- Spartacus (1960)
- Troy (2004)
- The Last Samurai (2003)
- 300 (2006)
- The Eagle (2011)
- Pompeii (2014)
- The Patriot (2000)
- Alexander (2004)
- King Arthur (2004)
- Ben Hur (1959)
- Last Knights (2015)
- Centurion (2010)
- The 13th Warrior (1999)
Top 14 Movies Like Gladiator
Next, I will tell you about the themes and the basic storyline of these adventure movies like gladiator. Keep reading the article to know and learn more about these movies.
1. Braveheart (1995)
Braveheart is a movie like Gladiator that is very famous due to their intriguing and emotionally involving story. The movie revolves around a Scottish warrior William Wallace that leads a revolution against the king of England. If you love war scenes and slow-motion action then this film is perfect for you.
The plot is very interesting and it will keep you glued to the screen till the end. I am sure you will like the high intense drama and the historical sets of this movie. You should definitely watch this movie as it shows and teaches a great warrior spirit.
- Directed by: Mel Gibson
- Produced by: Mel Gibson, Alan Ladd Jr., Bruce Davey
- Starring: Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau, Patrick McGoohan, Catherine McCormack
- Release date: 18 May 1995
- Running time: 178 minutes
- Distributed by: Paramount Pictures
2. Spartacus (1960)
Spartacus is among the historical movies like gladiator that you should watch if you love diving in action. The plot centers on a roman slave named Spartacus who leads a brave fight against the Roman elite. But things don’t go as he planned and he finds himself alone and cornered.
You will see that the brave Spartacus still fights for the rights of the slaves till the end. You must watch this film to know the epic history of the Third Servile War and the consequences it had.
- Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
- Produced by: Edward Lewis
- Starring: Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton, Peter Ustinov, John Gavin, Tony Curtis
- Release date: 6 October 1960
- Running time: 197 minutes
- Distributed by: Universal International
Click here – How To Change G2A To USD?
3. Troy (2004)
Troy is a movie like Gladiator that is very exciting, realistic, and has great suspense.
Troy has a very twisted plot with unexpected and out-of-the-blue happenings. This historical story revolves around Paris, the Trojan prince, and the Menelaus, the king of Sparta.The young prince of Troy likes the queen of Sparta, Helen, and takes her along with him to Troy.
So, to bring back his wife, Menelaus puts up a battle against the undefeated Trojans. He sets off with 1000 ships and fifty thousand greeks to troy to win her wife back. The Agamemnon also joins the fight to get back his sister. Who wins the war Greeks or the Trojans? You must watch this movie to know the breathtaking end of the story.
- Directed by: Wolfgang Petersen
- Produced by: Wolfgang Petersen, Diana Rathbun, Colin Wilson
- Starring: Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Orlando Bloom, Diane Kruger, Brian Cox, Sean Bean, Brendan Gleeson
- Release date: 13 May 2004
- Running time: 163 minutes
- Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
4. The Last Samurai (2003)
Do you like gladiator movies? Then, the last Samurai movie is the right choice for you. The plot centers on Nathan Algren who is hired to teach the Japanese army modern ways of war and fight. He is then captured by these Samurais and he finds himself in an emotional dilemma. Slowly he develops a liking for these people and their culture and sees how they are being repressed.
The Nathan then turns into the favor of Samurai and states a revolution against the U.S. Army to protect the Samurais right. You must watch this movie to see the transformation of the lead character and how beautifully the story plays out.
- Directed by: Edward Zwick
- Produced by: Marshall Herskovitz, Edward Zwick, Tom Cruise, Paula Wagner, Scott Kroopf, Tom Engelman
- Starring: Tom Cruise, Timothy Spall, Ken Watanabe, Billy Connolly, Tony Goldwyn
- Release date: 20 November 2003
- Running time: 154 minutes
- Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
5. 300 (2006)
The movie 300 is inspired by Frank Miller’s novel ‘300’ which is based on the events of 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae. I am sure the movie will move you with its serious, rough, and visually appealing content. You will get a great experience of the combination of fantasy and history in this film.
The story revolves around the king of Sparta, Leonidas who leads a fight against the advancing Persians. The war circumstances and the difficult situations help to reunite the Greece people for the battle. But will they be able to triumph over the powerful Persians? You must watch 300 and movies like gladiator on Netflix for entertainment.
- Directed by: Zack Snyder
- Produced by: Gianni Nunnari, Mark Canton, Bernie Goldman, Jeffrey Silver
- Starring: Geard Butler, Lena Headey, David Wenham, Dominic West
- Release date: 9 December 2006
- Running time: 116 minutes
- Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
6. The Eagle (2011)
The Eagle is one of the most-watched movies like gladiator due to its epic drama and action. The story centers on a young Roman officer named Marcus who wants to find out about the mysterious disappearance of an entire region. He also wants to get that reputation and respect of his father back.
Marcus goes across Hadrian’s wall into the highlands of Caledonia with only one mission to reestablish the Eagle of the Ninth. Will this young warrior be able to do that or is he going to die an unnamed silent death? I will leave you at this interesting twist to know what actually happens you must watch this interesting movie.
- Directed by: Kevin Macdonald
- Produced by: Duncan Kenworthy
- Starring: Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell, Donald Sutherland, Mark Strong
- Release date: 11 February 2011
- Running time: 114 minutes
- Distributed by: Focus Features, Universal Pictures
7. Pompeii (2014)
Pompeii movie is set in the background of the city Pompeii which was destroyed in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. The plot goes around Milo, a slave who turns into a gladiator for his true love Cassia. She was a daughter of a rich trader Severus who already promised Cassia to an unscrupulous Roman senator.
The Milo has to fight against all the odds and the governor of Pompeii. You will get a nail-biting experience as the plot progresses in this one of the movies like gladiator. It is not going to be easy at all and to see how far Milo will go for love you should at least watch this love-based movie once.
- Directed by: Paul W.S. Anderson
- Produced by: Jeremy Bolt, Paul W.S. Anderson, Rober Kulzer, Don Carmody
- Starring: Kit Harington, Carrie Anne Moss, Emily Browing, Adewale Akinnuoye Agbaje, Jessica Lucas
- Release date: 18 February 2014
- Running time: 105 minutes
- Distributed by: Sony Pictures Releasing, Film District, Lionsgate
8. The Patriot (2000)
The Patriot is among the interesting movies like Gladiator as it is captivating and rebellious. The plot is centered on former captain Benjamin Martin who fought the American revolutionary war. He wanted to lead a normal farmer life post-war and so he does that. Away from the violence and brutality, his life runs quite smooth.
But soon he has to return to the war field when his own son decides to be a warrior of the British. The story displays the unconditional love and devotion of a father towards his son. To protect his son and for his nation, Benjamin takes up his old lifestyle. You must watch this thrilling movie to see the epic transformation of Benjamin Martin.
- Directed by: Roland Emmerich
- Produced by: Dean Devlin, Mark Gordon, Gary Levinsohn
- Starring: Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, Joely Richardson, Jason Isaacs, Chris Cooper
- Release date: 28 June 2000
- Running time: 164 minutes
- Distributed by: Sony Pictures Releasing
9. Alexander (2004)
Alexander is counted under the epic movies like gladiator as it has intense drama and breathtaking moments. Who doesn’t know about Alexander the great? I am sure that you might have at least heard his name. The movie is based on this great warrior and his ambition to rise to the top. If you love battle zone and royalty then this movie is made for you.
The story begins with the fight of the king of Macedonia, Alexander against the Persian Empire. This courageous warlord doesn’t stop after the victory but goes across the world winning it all. You must watch this hair-raising and shocking movie for the ultimate experience and inspiration.
- Directed by: Oliver Stone
- Produced by: Thomas Schuhly
- Starring: Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Val Kilmer, Anthony Hopkins, Jared Leto, Rosario Dawson
- Release date: 16 November 2004
- Running time: 175 minutes
- Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
10. King Arthur (2004)
King Arthur is placed in the movies like troy and gladiator for its adventure and mystical elements. The story focuses on the life of brave King Arthur and how he takes up the task of setting his kingdom. To dive into history and heroic battles you must watch this movie.
You will get to see the roman empire when King Arthur was losing his order and was being attacked by the enemies. How he manages the kingdom and reestablish it is worth watching. I can assure you that you will get lost in the mesmerizing background and realistic characters of this movie.
- Directed by: Antoine Fuqua
- Produced by: Jerry Bruckheimer
- Starring: Clive Owen, Keira Knightley, Stellan Skarsgard, Stephen Dillane, Ray Winstone, Hugh Dancy
- Release date: 7 July 2004
- Running time: 126 minutes
- Distributed by: Buena Vista Pictures
11. Ben Hur (1959)
Ben Hur is included in good movies like gladiator for its resistant fighter storyline. The main character of the story is Judah Ben Hur who was falsely betrayed by his friend Messala. Ben Hur survived years of slavery and didn’t want it to continue. He wanted to fight for the freedom of the Jewish people.
Ben Hur further leads the fight against the Romans and wins it. To know more about the epic story of the brave warrior you must watch this brilliantly made movie. You can see the reviews of the Ben Hur movie and more movies like gladiator IMDb.
- Directed by: William Wyler
- Produced by: Sam Zimbalist
- Starring: Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, Haya Harareet, Stephen Boyd, Hugh Griffith, Martha Scott, Sam Jaffe
- Release date: 18 November 1959
- Running time: 212 minutes
- Distributed by: Loew’s Inc.
12. Last Knights (2015)
Last Knights is one of the amazing movies like gladiator and has a unique twisted story. In this film, the group of knights is led by an aging nobleman named Bartok. Soon after the Bartok hands the sword to the Raiden making him the successor. The plot takes a thrilling turn when the emperor turns evil and beats the old Bartok on the basis of being not able to collect the taxes.
Raiden and the other knights didn’t favor this cruelty and decided to take up a war against the brutal emperor. What will be the end result of this battle? You must watch this movie to see who gets the victory.
- Directed by: Kazuaki Kiriya
- Produced by: Luci Kim
- Starring: Clive Owen, Cliff Curtis, Aksel Hennie, Peyman Moaadi, Ayelet Zurer, Shohreh Aghdashloo
- Release date: 3 April 2015
- Running time: 115 minutes
- Distributed by: Lionsgate
13. Centurion (2010)
The centurion is included in similar movies like gladiator for its magnificent battles and wonderful action. The movie will take you to Britain A.D. 117.when the only survivor of the picts Quintus Dias escape from the fort of the Romans. The movie is suspenseful and has a cold war atmosphere.
Later Quint Dias along with general Virilus takes up a revolt against the leader of the Britons, Gorcalon. What cost will the Britons pay for letting Centurion escape from the fort? To know the mind-bending end of the story you must watch this movie once.
- Directed by: Neil Marshall
- Produced by: Christian Colson, Robert Jones
- Starring: Michael Fassbender, Dominic West, Olga Kurylenko, Noel Clarke, Liam Cunningham, David Morrisey, Riz Ahmed
- Release date: 15 February 2010
- Running time: 97 minutes
- Distributed by: Warner Bros. Entertainment UK
14. The 13th Warrior (1999)
The 13th warrior is among the movies like the gladiator as it has a spectacular screenplay. The story is fascinating where the lead of the movie, Ahmad Ibn Fadlan is cheated in love. The woman he falls for is a trap and he is sent on a mission by the Sultan.
Ahmad lands in a mysterious unknown place but his life takes a fascinating turn when he stops at the Viking village. Will Ahmad ever be able to go back to his place? Or will he be stuck there forever? To get answers to all your burning questions you must watch this dramatic movie.
- Directed by: John McTiernan
- Produced by: John McTiernan, Michael Crichton, Ned Dowd
- Starring: Antonio Banderas, Diane Venora, Omar Sharif
- Release date: 27 August 1999
- Running time: 103 minutes
- Distributed by: Buena Vista Pictures
Read Also: Top 11 Movies Like Fight Club To Watch
Who Was The Baddest Gladiator?
Spartacus is arguably the most famous Roman gladiator, a tough fighter who led a massive slave rebellion. After being enslaved and put through gladiator training school, an incredibly brutal place, he and 78 others revolted against their master Batiatus using only kitchen knives.
What Was A Female Gladiator Called?
The Gladiatrix were the female equivalent of the Roman Gladiator, that fought other Gladiatrix or wild animals during rare occurrences in arena games and festivals. There are no defining Latin words from the Roman period for a Gladiatrix (a modern invention), and documented accounts or historical evidence is limited.
Who Killed Maximus Gladiator?
Shortly before the film’s final sequence—a battle to the death between Commodus and Maximus in the arena—Commodus visits Maximus beneath the Colosseum. He stabs him in the back (yes, literally) and then orders Quintus to cover up the wound.
Did Gladiator Get Removed From Netflix?
Netflix has decided to kill the blockbuster film Gladiator from its streaming platform next month, meaning viewers have less than two weeks to watch it before it disappears on January 1st, 2022.
What Should I Watch If I Liked Gladiator?
Movies Similar To Gladiator
- The 13th Warrior
- The Last Samurai
- Rob Roy
- The Eagle
Are They Making A Second Gladiator Movie?
A whopping 23 years after Sir Ridley Scott’s roman epic Gladiator was first released in 2000 and instantly became a huge hit, a sequel is officially on the way, with Scott reprising his role as the film’s director.
Read Also: How To Become A Meteorologist?
Do you like to watch movies that inspire and entertain you both at the same time? Then, you must read my this article to know more historical movies like gladiator that you can watch. I have also mentioned the star cast and directors of each of the movies for your reference.
You will also get to know about the basic theme and the main protagonist of these movies. I am sure you will be entertained and delighted after watching these movies like gladiator.
What should I watch if I like the Gladiator